Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pompidou to Versailles

Pictures from the Pompidou Center and Versailles!
A hanging sculpture in the Pompidou's Modern Collection.

Part of the Exhibition entitled "Dreamlands", about the way we view cities across the world and how we create "carnivals" in society.

The front view of Versailles. Waiting in line on a really hot day!

Me standing in front of the Grand Trianon (to my right) that overlooks the Eastern part of the canal.

A window/doorway looking out from of the King's apartments (I think. It was in the chateau somewhere at least).

The "laiterie" at the Hamlet (awesome, village-like part of Versailles built under Marie Antoinette).

An archway of grape vines in the Hamlet's vegetable gardens.

A swan in the canal of the Versailles Jardin.

The same swan. I just couldn't decide which photograph I liked better. You tell me.

My fellow Versailles-goers: Vanessa, Fatin, and Paulo. 

It was a long day (9:30 am to 7:30 pm) but awesome despite the heat. The grounds of the court are just so beautiful and vast, I honestly could not believe my eyes. I really think I could spend a week walking around there, just picnicking and eating ice cream (as above) or fresh-squeezed orange juice, which we also had (fresh picked from the chateau's orange grove). The opulence is astounding and it's a bit scary to think about all the money that was spent on one castle, but I'm still thankful that it stands just so that I get to bask in its beauty. 
Vive le roi de soleil!

2 comments:

  1. Elena - So glad you guys made it to Versailles. Looks like you loved the grounds and you made it to the darling Hamlet. You all look relaxed and like you're having fun. Hope you rented the bikes!

    Love,

    Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos! I am impressed, but not surprised, by your photo talent. So is Kat. Love and miss you. Would love to talk or Skype quickly before you leave for Brussels.

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete