Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I promise I'm not really antisocial...

Today I went to the Cathedrale Sainte-Chapelle by myself, since people were doing other things and I really wanted to make sure that I saw it. The stained glass windows were phenomenal (they virtually are the some of the best in the world), and I loved getting to peruse them by myself. In Paris, I've found that I'm a bit antisocial when it comes to visiting museums and certain sites. I like to take things in at my own pace, to wander, to stare, to sit, and I really don't like sharing commentary (unless it's with a few select people who I have personally designated "museum buddies"). Really, I love the freedom that I find when browsing. It's wonderful to be able to stop, sit, and sketch a sculpture that I really like, without having to worry that I'm making people wait and whatnot. That's what I did at the Pompidou Center the other day! I sketched a postmodernist sculpture, but was only able to finish it today after running to the art store to buy a pencil sharpener. Here it is:


Also, here are some pictures of Saint Chapelle:






Stained Glass Windows from the 13th century 

The Rose Window, a stained glass window from the 14th century depicting the apocalypse of St. John (which I don't really know what that is but it sounds like a big deal).

Moral of the story is, I really like doing stuff on my own in Paris! Cultural stuff, that is. Otherwise, my friends here are great and I can't wait to go out with them tonight! Bonne soiree!

1 comment:

  1. Elena -So glad you made to St. Chapelle. Well worth the security line and the wait. So incredible and inspiring. Each window tells the stories of the Old Testament, if I remember correctly. Most beautiful place to spend time with God in the world. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Love your blog! It's like I'm there with you! Keep up the great posts!

    Love you,

    Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete